welcome. thanks for visiting. i love sharing my stories, so regardless of who you are, feel free to look around. this blog is about my adventures and living on purpose. i hope it provides you with some entertainment... even if it's at my expense!

-abby

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Fiscal Dilemma

In anticipation of February (Money month), I am thinking about things I could do that I enjoy and also make some extra money. I need to cut back in some areas, but I also really, really enjoy giving gifts, doing little craft days with my godchildren, and being able to go lunch and other places with my friends. Instead of cutting back on these activities, some of my most favorite things in the world, which consume too much of my disposable income, I want to increase the income.

I had thought about getting a part-time job, and I would, but school needs to be priority right now, and I think I would kill myself working or doing school any more than I do already. Since I already got rid of my cable back in October, and since I'd also like to start reading more, I'm thinking about crafting and listening to audio books. It seems like a productive thing to do that would be fun, educational, and give me the chance to sell some things on etsy. I made a tablecloth for my Christmas table this year, and it inspired me to make one for every day.

I plan to use a simply patterned fabric as a base, then applique fleur de lis or other pretty shapes on in a more ornate fabric, and bead through the shapes for some pop. It got me to wondering whether this is a common project (I figured it was), so I researched etsy both to check out the competition and get inspiration. Let me just say, there was N O T H I NG. Nothing that I would put on my table. They were all either farm fresh, cheesy, lacey or downright boring and doubtfully handmade. No wonder I've never bothered with a tablecloth! I'll admit there was one cute quilted-type tablecloth (still, not what I had in mind), but it was $120 dollars (quite a bit more than I'm planning on selling mine for, but hey, I'd take it), and the seller had never sold one. There was nothing there for a modern girl.

This first attempt may not turn out perfectly, and in fact, after looking at some of the amazing fabric on etsy, mine that I bought from Hancock looks pathetic. But hopefully, my design will jazz it up. There are some other things I've thought about making, including a baby mobile out of my little paper bird designs. For now, while I'm out of school til the 17th, I'm going to work on this tablecloth for the next few free nights. I haven't invested in a sewing machine yet, so that means a lot of needlework, but I enjoy it and it's fun for me to see something I made completely by hand. Don't worry, I'm sure a machine will be purchased soon enough. I'm not completely stubborn, just about 75%.

No comments:

Post a Comment