welcome. thanks for visiting. i love sharing my stories, so regardless of who you are, feel free to look around. this blog is about my adventures and living on purpose. i hope it provides you with some entertainment... even if it's at my expense!

-abby

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Do Good, Feel Good

I can't justify the fact that I haven't done a whole lot of volunteering in my life. I used to help with stuff at church, like Vacation Bible School every year, and I have done a little tutoring, but I can't defend the fact that my weekends 99% of the time are purely pleasure seeking. This past weekend was different.

My boyfriend and I signed up for Habitat for Humanity. Here's what I was thinking going into it:

1. There are going to be a ton of people! (I thought it would be very impersonal.)

2. I hope they like me.

3. I hope I don't make a fool out of myself.

4. I'm scared.

After our first go-round, there are some things that really struck me.

First of all, it WAS scary. We didn't know what to do. I hit my fingers with my hammer more times than I can tell you. But I am really.really.really stubborn. I was gonna conquer those nails if it was the last thing I did. After a couple of hours of that, I decided I'd had enough pain. So I "gave up" and started sweeping.

The fellowship was amazing. Everyone had such a great attitude - which makes sense when you think about the fact that they all want to be there. But it's such a departure from the way a traditional work environment can feel, so it suprised me. Using our bodies to do real work felt great. Normally, the only time I do that is when I work out. But this was a real work out - productive, fun, and great exercise! Never mind the fact that we were outside for four full hours. It felt great to be in the sunshine - after we recovered from the near frostbite of the morning hours.

When I started sweeping, I was helping another lady who doesn't speak English. Anyone who knows me well knows that I get an enormous kick out of talking to someone in another language (future travel junkie, anyone?). The newness of it is exciting, I love a challenge, and sometimes the people you're talking to don't have a lot of other people who are interested in communicating with them. Besides, I like making friends. She doesn't know it yet, but Felipa is going to be my friend whether she likes it or not.

Wish you could be closer to your significant other, and don't know how? Wish your husband would be more romantic? Guys, do you have a hard time figuring out howto satisfy your woman's need for intimacy? It's amazing how bonding it is to do something altruistic as a couple. My boyfriend took the initiative and signed up for Saturday, then invited me. Let me tell you, he was never more attractive! Try it, and get back to me. I feel certain you'll thank me later.

This was such a great activity all the way around - good for our bodies to get a work out, good for our lungs to breathe fresh air, good for our hearts to give back and make new friends, good for our brain to try something new, and good for our self-esteem! It was so easy to sign up. We talked about it and have decided to go back every Saturday morning for the foreseeable future.

http://longviewhabitat.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment