welcome. thanks for visiting. i love sharing my stories, so regardless of who you are, feel free to look around. this blog is about my adventures and living on purpose. i hope it provides you with some entertainment... even if it's at my expense!

-abby

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ziti with Vegetables and Sausage

I made this Tuesday night, and it was a big hit at work the next day! I got some Ziti with Chicken from Olive Garden on Sunday, and it struck me how incredibly salty and greasy it was. I told the boy what I was making and he said, "Didn't you just have that?" But I thought I could make it better!

Ingredients:
1 15 oz. box ziti or penne pasta (I used Barilla Whole Grain, yummy!)
1 bell pepper
1/2 onion
1 pkg. turkey link sausage
1 ea. 12 oz. can diced tomatoes (I always use the no added salt kind)
1 ea. 12 oz. can tomato sauce
2 eggs, beaten with 2 Tbsp milk
1 8 oz. ball fresh mozzarella cheese (Of course you can subsitute not-fresh. But why would you want to? :)
2 Tbsp italian seasoning
2 Tbsp Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
(And a tad bit of cayenne pepper, if you like to keep things a little spicy!)
1/4 C parmesan cheese

Start your water to boiling, and while that's heating, chop your vegetables and sausage as desired (coarse or fine, it doesn't matter to me!). Cook your pasta as directed. Once you're done chopping each item, throw it into a deep 9x13 pan (I bought this oval Calphalon look-alike at TJ Maxx for about 8 dollars I think!). Dump in your sauce, tomatoes, eggs, and 1/2 the ball of cheese, crumbled or chopped. Drain your pasta and dump that in, too. Throw on your seasonings and mix it all up, then smooth and top with the remaining crumbled mozzarella. Sprinkle the parmesan over the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, covered until the last 5 minutes. If you want to brown your cheese, turn on your broiler for a few minutes and watch it til it's brown. I'm bad about covering things, so mine just came out a little crispy on top! YUM.


Update, with nutrition facts:

Calories 176
Total Fat 5.4g
Sat. Fat 0.2g
Cholest. 29.2 mg
Sodium 337.8mg
Carb. 23.7g
Fiber 3.3g
Sugars 3.5g
Protein 8.2g

No comments:

Post a Comment